We have made the difficult decision to postpone SeaMLS 2020 to a later time until the global situation has improved. While we hope that the situation would improve over the coming months, we put the safety and security of our participants, speakers, sponsors, and organizers as our foremost priority. Please see the full announcement on this page.
Everyone is welcome to apply regardless of where they are from. The venue is in Vietnam since Southeast Asia is underrepresented in machine learning and artificial intelligence communities at this level.
Applicants are expected to:
- be enthusiastic about machine learning with demonstrable interests (e.g., previous projects related to machine learning, concrete future plan on how to use machine learning);
- have some experience in programming (preferably Python);
- be familiar with linear algebra, basic calculus, and basic statistics;
- prior experience in machine learning is not required, although we expect participants without machine learning backgrounds to have an understanding of why they would like to study machine learning and have some idea about how machine learning knowledge would be useful for their domain of interest.
We will have some funding reserved for student participants to help with travel costs from within Southeast Asia. Please indicate on the application form if you would like to be considered for travel assistance, which will cover transportation costs (including airplane tickets when applicable, up to a certain amount) and accommodation costs near the venue.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide travel funding for student participants that reside outside of Southeast Asia, although we welcome applications from all over the world regardless of the applicants’ place of residence. Please note that registration is free-of-charge for all student participants regardless of their place of residence.
Part-time students can also apply for the travel assistance provided that they are able to provide a valid enrollment letter at a tertiary institution (e.g. university or polytechnic) if they are selected, even if they are enrolled in a part-time basis. Since we only have a limited number of travel assistance available, please note that each request is considered on a case by case basis, and we cannot guarantee that travel assistance will be granted for each request.
We will not require any recommendation letters, but current students would need to upload a proof of attendance at their university to register if they are selected.
We strongly encourage you to bring your own laptop for practical sessions. We do not have specific hardware requirements. In particular, a GPU is not needed. Instructions regarding required software will be sent to all participants before the event starts. It is highly likely that during practical sessions (2 hours+), you may need to use your laptop on battery power.
You can also bring a poster and present it to other participants. The poster content is expected to be about a past/current project that has a machine learning component. If you intend to present a poster at the event, please indicate so on the application form. The poster offers a way to get feedback from your fellow participants and the invited speakers. We will have an award for the best poster presentations at the closing ceremony.
- Registration is free-of-charge for all student participants who are currently enrolled in tertiary education (e.g. university or polytechnic).
- Registration fee for all other participants is USD 300 (industry) or USD 200 (faculty).
- The registration fee includes access to all lectures, panels, and practical sessions, social events, lunch, and two coffee breaks per day.
Beside basic information (your name, affiliation, etc), you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae, details from your latest study, tentative poster abstract if you would like to present one, prior machine learning experience (if applicable, not mandatory), familiarity with Python, and how you plan to use and share the knowledge you gain at the event. There will be a few quiz questions in the application form to assess knowledge of basic mathematics and programming.
Yes. We will produce a certificate of attendance on completion of the event.
There is no specific dress code. Casual wears (t-shirts, jeans) are fine. Anything more formal is also fine.